Each time I spend time at a festival or concert in LA, I get asked: ‘What are your most famous bands ?”
Unfortunately, only few bands ring a bell. But 2 newcomers are getting high marks. These are the ones that constantly get recognition and appreciation:
1. over the last year’s, our Dewaele Brothers hit it big with 2ManyDj’s. They’ve headlined or closed quite some amazing festivals. And they are amazing guys! (I even asked my wife to marry me during one of their gigs, but that’s another story)
2. Lords of Acid have made a huge name for themselves, being one of the first bands that combined electro and rock. After top-producer Rick Rubin produced a record, and sales topped at nearly 2,5 Mio albums (combined), their act created a lot of buzz. Last year’s tour was quite amazing, selling out most of the gigs in a 20-leg tour across the US. New album out now: “deep chills”! (ps: the frontman is Praga Khan/Maurice Engelen, my partner in SonicAngel)
3. Very under-appreciated in their home-country, but Front242 have left an incredible impression in the electro/EBM scene in the US and also in South America. They are certainly not forgotten!
Two new ones have just appeared:
4. from the classic genre, but Dirk Brossé made quite an impression on the folks across the US. Not only because of his position in Philadelphia, but selling out huge arena’s with the star wars concert. I had quite some goosebumps, watching him direct an orchestra in a 7.000 people hall in LA, while favorite Star Wars’ scenes were projected
5. new kid on the block, but this might become the biggest one ever: 987FM is playing him all night long, and all of the US is embracing Gotye. Although considered Australian, he is actually born in Belgium. He’s been in Australia since a long time – but we’re keeping him Belgian though. If you have any doubts, watch the scenes of last nights ‘Somebody that I used to know’, live at the Coachella fest 2012. Goosebumps for us Belgians, I tell you!
Enjoy – bart.